I have never done this before and don't mean to offend anyone. But I feel strongly that it's time for Americans to take back our government.
Looking back on the last 8 years is very sobering. A short list of events in no particular order:
- The treatment of soldiers at Walter Reed.
- Political firings of US Attorneys. The unfired (Bush appointed) US attorneys who targeted 80% of their political corruption cases against Democrats.
- Alberto Gonzales: politicization of the department, even down to the intern program, decimation of career lawyers and evisceration of divisions, like civil rights.
- The outing of Valery Plame and the subsequent pardoning of Scooter Libby.
- Big budget deficits and vastly increased national debt; the national debt as of the date of Bush's 2001 inauguration was $5.7 trillion. In January 2008, it was $9.2 trillion, an increase of 61%.
- The war in Iraq.
- Allowing the Taliban to keep a toehold in Afghanistan which has turned into a foot hold.
- The Military Commissions Act: torture, indefinite detention, the end of habeas corpus, and kangaroo courts..
- CIA run prisons and extraordinary rendition to facilitate interrogation by torture.
- Not capturing Osama bin Laden and not caring about that.
- Hurricanes Rita and Katrina, the destruction of New Orleans, FEMA and "Heck of a job, Brownie," lack of preparation, lack of emergency aid, slowness of reconstruction
- Warrantless NSA wiretapping and telcom immunity.
- Homeland Security: white elephant (organization), black hole (money), Tom Ridge and threat levels, Michael Chertoff and general incompetence.
- . K Street lobbyists like Jack Abramoff.
- Mark Foley, chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, resigned over the House page scandal: sending sexually explicit messages to pages
- Cheney's Energy Policy, Big Oil's writing of it, and refusal to divulge that participation.
- Global warming: denial of manmade origin, followed by minimization of the effects of the manmade contribution, continued reliance on fossil and carbon based fuels, little movement on CAFE standards and conservation, and political interference in scientific reports.
- Congress’s and Bush’s interference in the tragic case of Terri Schiavo
- The size of government has INCREASED 60%
- Failure to implement the 911 Commission recommendations.
- Loss of US reputation internationally after massive post-911 world support.
- FDA: drug testing; food safety: underfunding, cutback in inspections and inspection staff (a decrease of 12% between 2003 and 2006), reliance on self-policing, lack of inspection of imported foods, and inability to force recalls.
- Rampant cronyism
- The privatization of the military. There are currently more US contractors in Iraq (180,000) that soldiers (144,000). And companies like Blackwater and Dyncorp to not have ANY laws that apply to their actions. Not Iraqi laws or the UCMJ.
- Unilateral (aka Unitary) Executive doctrine: the brainchild of John Yoo and David Addington which seeks to establish a legal framework through misreading the Constitution for a Presidential dictatorship
- Dubai Ports deal
- The War on Science: stem cell research, global warming, evolution, research funding, energy, abstinence programs, AIDS prevention. Bush vetoes a stem cell research bill July 19, 2006 (Bush's first veto). Bush vetoes a second stem cell research bill June 20, 2007 (Bush's third veto).
- Presidential Daily Brief August 6, 2001: Bin Laden determined to attack in US.
- EPA chief Christie Todd Whitman declares toxic filled Ground Zero safe for cleanup.
- Selling creationist materials at the Grand Canyon gift shop claiming it was 6000 years old
- Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo
- Refusing to intervene in the California electricity crisis in early 2001
And so it goes, on and on and on……. Any of these events alone would be bad, but together they are a tragedy
Barack Obama is committed to changing the political process by building a campaign founded on a broad base of support from ordinary Americans. This campaign is about putting the people's interests ahead of the special interests, but to do that, Barack needs help from people like you and me.
I've set my own personal fundraising goal for the campaign, which you can see in the thermometer to the right. Will you click the thermometer to make a donation and help us reclaim the United States government and restore it’s integrity.
As some of us have discovered with Kiva (www.kiva.org) , any amount will help make a change. Let's make a change NOW.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.